Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Peace out, girl scouts!

I would categorize myself as someone with a creative mind. I don't like being put behind barriers and having only one way of doing something. This blog allowed me to go beyond the typical school curriculum and present my views on subjects I enjoy (like music). I like thinking critically on things, like I did with the lyrics of songs. We all have messages to send out for people to hear, but we all do it differently. People like Jack Johnson and John Mayer say what they have to say through their music. It is a way for them to relieve themselves of the issues pressing down on them. My creative mind, though, isn't the same as someone else's; this is what makes the human person interesting. I can look at lyrics and make my own interpretation, while someone else can look at it in a completely different perspective.

Through my blog I was able to exhibit curiosity. I was curious as to what some of the songs I always listen to really say. Being able to sit down and listen to them and blog about what they said to me was an interesting and fun task for me. Also, I have been able to see other people's points of view. I didn't necessarily do that with my blog (since I wrote about a familiar subject), but I read through other people's blogs on subjects I don't necessarily enjoy. I read them with an open mind and learned a lot. An example would be those who wrote on country music. I despise it but I can see why others enjoy the music and messages the songs have now. The reason I put so many videos up on my wall was because I was challenging other people's beliefs and attempted to present them with new ideas. Many people don't know of 311, for example, so I put up videos to try and get people to watch them in hopes of liking the style of music they play. Not everyone will like it but it is there to challenge them to at least listen.

What I learned through developing my blog is something I had previously touched on in this post here. I realized that lyrics are meant to be interpreted, and are meant to have several interpretations. We use music to apply to issues in our life, and sometimes a song can mean one thing one day, and another the next. That's the beauty of music; it is ever-changing. There is no "one meaning" of music. It morphs to what we see it as. Along with realizing this, I would like to thank Matthew Neylon for a comment he left on mine. My first posts were incredibly long because I felt as if it would look good if I wrote a lot. Matthew commented that sometimes less words is more powerful. A message can be squeezed to fit into less words but still retain its meaning. This is why my later posts were much shorter. I kept my objective of explaining music but without being verbose.

Well, this is it for me.... for now. Keep your minds open to music, and keep on keepin' on. The café is closing soon, so get that espresso now before the doors close. Peace.

1 comment:

  1. I really liked this post. When John was talking about how music is ever-changing and how it can be interpreted differently each day, I realized that I completely agree with him. Sometimes I'll think of a song a certain way and then talk to someone else about it and be surprised to find that they had an entirely different interpretation of it. I've also learned that music greatly affects my mood. Whether I'm sad or joyous or upset, there always seems to be a song that can match my mood. What I love most about music is my ability to connect with it. Music is an integral part of my life and will always remain that way.

    ReplyDelete